30. What are your top 10 favorite names? List 5 boy names and 5 girl names.
This is going to be so hard to narrow down. But I made this challenge so I think it’s ok if I break the rule and list more. I love love love names. I keep my favorites on a sticky note on my laptop. (like, Stickies on Mac, not an actual sticky note). Not for baby names or anything because I don’t think I want kids. Mainly for characters in my writing. Some of these will come with middle names.
- Nathaniel Sebastian (I like them separately, but even more together)
- Matthew Oliver (this one has a significance to me but I won’t explain)
- Micah (I also like this for a girl)
- Luciana (from my favorite Shakespeare play)
- Wendy Lane (there’s a street near my house called Wendy Lane and I love it)
And if I ever write twin characters, their names will be William and Winifred, or Will and Winnie for short, because precious.
These aren’t even all the names on my list, I shortened it. I just adore names and choosing a name for a character is sacred for me, because it sets up their whole personality. You can’t name a character Margo and not have her be eccentric. Of course, names don’t define real people or determine their personalities, but I’m a firm believer that if you give your kid a boring name, they’re a bit more likely to turn out boring.