27. List 5 quotes that mean a lot to you and explain their significance.
I missed yesterday’s prompt but so did Maggie and Brittany so I’m not too worried about it.
I have so many favorite quotes, I don’t know why it’s so difficult for me to think of any right now. I think work just fries my brain.
1. If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.
This is from John Green’s Looking For Alaska. I think this was the last line of the first half of the book and I remember reading that line over and over again and I just had to stop reading for a while to take it all in. I love this line for many reasons. It’s gorgeous, for starters. Seriously, say it out loud. It drips from your lips, doesn’t it? It dances. I don’t know, it’s the writer in me. When I read that line, I knew I wanted to be able to write that way, using language so beautiful that the reader has to pause to take it in. The whole paragraph before this line was beautiful, too, but this one stuck out the most.
2. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.
This is from Doctor Who, my favorite episode ever, and it’s the partial inspiration for my first tattoo. I love it and it just reminds me to stop and enjoy the beauty of the world around me.
My tattoo: (I left my face out because I look like a hot mess with bags under my eyes and stuff)
3. Other than love, is there any more powerful word than inspire? How amazing is it to inspire someone? To provoke feeling. To make someone feel love…hope…sometimes pain…happiness. That’s what life is all about. One day we’ll all be gone, but while were here, why not pour someone a glass of inspiration. Why not pick someone up when they’re down? Can you measure a life by the amount of days you live? Is that life? Because if ticking noises were really used to measure this there would sadly be a lot of disappointments and letdowns. I say we measure life by the amount of smiles we put on the faces of those around us, both strangers and not.
This is from Alex DeLeon’s tumblr and I’ve loved this quote since the day I read it back in 2009. He’s my inspiration and he means a lot to me and I’ve always wanted to get an “inspire” tattoo like his. Maybe someday.
4. Without inspiration, we’re all like a box of matches that will never be lit.
In 2010 I was obsessed with David Archuleta, and yeah, I read his memoir, Chords of Strength. Not the whole thing, because there were some atrocious grammar and spelling mistakes. I was appalled that an editor let them slip through the cracks. But this was a line in the book and because I was all about Alex DeLeon and inspiration and all that cheesy stuff, I really loved this line. I don’t know if I still consider it a favorite quote, but it was definitely something that I held close to for a long time.
5. I’m building the world myself and putting new hats on everybody one by one…Before I go out I’m gonna have people in tutus, cops wearing sombreros, stockbrokers with viking hats, priests with panties on their heads. In the world I’m building, everybody shouts hello to everybody else from their car windows. People have speakers attached to their chests that pour out music so you can tell from a distance what mood they’re in, and they won’t be too chicken to get naked when the rain comes.
I first saw this quote on the album artwork of my Jason Mraz CD. This was years ago, when I still bought CDs. It’s a quote by Rachel Corrie. I fell in love with it and it’s one that I come back to a lot. It’s just a reminder to be original and unique and creative rather than going with the grain your whole life. And who doesn’t love dancing naked in the rain, amirite?